It’s that time of year again when the light dims, the house is colder, and we want to change our decor to reflect the new season. Autumn is upon us and our fresh white decor, whilst perfect for summer, can start to feel a little cold. The low tog duvet, or light-weight summer quilt, is no longer doing its job, it needs to be changed or to have a few cosy layers added to it.
If you are looking to update your bedroom, and make it perfect for Autumn – take a look at our hints and tips below…
1. Colour-schemeAdding some warmth or depth to your colour scheme is a quick and easy way to update your bedroom. The traditional Autumn colours of warm terracotta, rich ochre yellow, and chestnut brown will work. If you want a classic look add a warm coloured wool throw in tweed or check, or a cosy patchwork quilt – like our Sahara quilt in gold and copper tones. For a modern look paint a wall a bold burnt orange and accent it with simple bedding in charcoal or steel grey shades.Neutrals are a great choice as they work in any season, just choose accessories in deeper shades for Autumn/Winter. Our pale grey linen bedding over a Hungarian goose down duvet, topped with an alpaca throw is the ultimate luxurious way to stay cosy this Autumn. Berry shades also look great at this time of year when the cooler light shows them at their best. Our Zari quilts in raspberry or blackberry are a quick way to add a splash of deep, rich colour.
Take a look at our pinterest board for great Autumn Bedroom colour palette suggestions.
2. Too cold one night, too warm the next?Autumn is a transitional period when the temperature can be all over the place! Make sure you have bedding that is flexible enough to suit. As with autumn clothing – layering is key! Soft cotton or linen bedding with a light-medium tog duvet (4-9 tog depending on your preference), is a great base. Layer with a light weight quilt and/or cosy wool blanket. The extra layers are easy to take off on warmer nights, or to snuggle under when it gets cold. You don’t want to have to change all your bedding with the temperature!
3. Don’t forget to turn your mattress.Many of our mattresses have a cool cotton summer side, and a warm wool winter side (see Orthosoft or Relaxsan mattresses), don’t forget to turn your mattress to adapt to the cooler weather! If your mattress doesn’t have this feature, you may want to purchase a wool filled mattress protector for a cosy under layer.
4. Bring in the scent of autumn…Use scented candles, scent diffusers, and room sprays in woody, warm scents such as sandalwood and cedar.
Changing your toiletries from lighter floral and citrus notes to richer musky scents helps you to feel cosier. Our Compagnie de Provence toiletries in Black Jasmine or Anise Patchouli are a great choice. They are made using a high percentage of olive oil which will help keep your skin soft and supple in these colder, windier days.
5. Choose a nature-inspired or rustic lookA solid wood bed with a headboard panel that show-cases the natural beauty of timber is a great addition to an Autumn bedroom look. Our Sonora bed is a low wooden bed with a tall headboard panel. It suits loft spaces or modern bedrooms with low ceilings. The Malabar bed has taller legs, but still has a generous headboard panel. This is a timeless, simple bed design. Choose timbers with a vibrant grain, like cherry, ash or walnut, for added interest. These warm timber tones will work with a range of Autumn colours.A solid wood bed is the perfect basis for a rustic look, always an appealing style in autumn when we are inspired by woodland walks and the turning of the leaves. Take a look at our pinterest board of rustic bedrooms, and our previous blog for tips on creating a rustic bedroom.
For further tips and hints – why not try the following blogs:https://www.wikihow.com/Decorate-Your-Bedroom-for-Autumnhttps://www.houzz.com/photos/bedroom/autumn-https://freshome.com/2010/09/21/15-best-autumn-decorating-tips-and-ideas/
You must be logged in to post a comment.